You would never know it to look at this painting, but it is the sum of many months, and many moods. It has been my go to painting for the staggered moments I have spent in the studio over the past 2 years of my life. A symbol of my painterly limbo while I work on my children's book, 'Little O'.
It started out as an exercise to loosen up my mind, to release the tension I would bring with me from my busy, scheduled life.
The many layers of paint that coloured this canvas were decided on at the very moment I sat in front of that immense drawer full of colours.
Once I had haphazardly applied my paint strokes to this piece - with whatever brush was first at hand - I could work on other projects with freedom. I would toss it aside and move on to my 'real' work.
But now I feel that it is something more than a punching bag for my brush and paint. I feel that it represents what I strive for in all of my work. Honesty.
Each layer was created in the moment, and though these moments have not always been pretty or kind, there is always another layer of truth that awaits. There is always possibility and mystery in each new day.
I have left this painting titled "Blue", but it is not finished. I think I will keep the name, but it will continue to change and grow, just as I do.

No comments:
Post a Comment